Likely infestation of the deadly Stachybotrys mold inside a shower wall in
a New Zealand residence. Picture taken Sept. 7, 2013.
Sept. 7, 2013. We have discovered mold (see attached picture) in the walls
behind a shower and adjoining toilet wall. We have currently bought 3
weeks ago a16 year old brick house which has had a new shower vanity and
toilet put in. The building inspector didnít spot it during his inspection
before sale however once we moved in and started using the shower which
also was leaking the smell became more noticeable. I have opened up the
rear of the shower and found black mould nearer the outside wall. The
smell has increased. We have stopped using the shower. Using a mask and
gloves I cleaned and scraped and bagged the mould and then added a Janola
bleach at 4 parts to 1 and sprayed the entire wall base 2 days ago and
then again yesterday. Also I put a dehumidifier into and closed the room
leaving the window open. Last night we had to evacuate as the smell became
nauseous and spent the night in a motel. This morning there is still a
smell in the toilet area but feel it is still drifting within the house.
Have opened all windows. Have now turned of the dehumidifier as it seems
to be pushing it into the house. As I believe this may affect our health
so I ask if you can go through the process of effectively removing the
mold in a healthy way. Is there someone in New Zealand or close to
Wellington in the North Island. Trust you can advise quickly as it is of
We are sorry that you are having this big mold problem in your
newly-purchased home. We know of no qualified mold experts in NZ, but I'm
sure thare must be some. Your picture depicts what may be the deadly
Stachybotrys mold (which causes severe health problems including brain
tissue destruction). First, Please put a small sample of the most serious
mold growth (collected from your removed building materials)to send to our
USA lab for analysis. How to do your own home mold testing to collect
samples of surface mold and mold in the air are explained in the "how to
do your own mold testing" section of our website
www.moldexpertconsultants.com. Second, you would be helped big time by
reading several of my mold advice ebooks that send you by email attachment
for quick delivery to you in NZ. Especially valuable in your situation is
to read (in this order): (1) Mold Health Guide; (2) Mold
Monsters; (3) Mold Home Remedy Recipes; and (4) Do It Best
Yourself Mold Inspection, Testing, Remediation, and Prevention, only
US $15 each at our site
www.moldmart.net. Third, we can send you via international airmail
the highly-effective mold killer Bio3Blaster ozone generator, contractor
model, (US$880 plus postal delivery cost to NZ). Read about how to use
our high output ozone gas generator at our site
www.ozonegeneratorkillsmold.com. When ordering you need to specify
that you need the 220 volt system for your NZ use. Only the contractor
model is available for 220 volt. The contractor model produces a huge
amoutn of ozone gas (28,000 ozone units per hour) to kill mold spores and
mold growth in your attic, basement, crawl space, room interiors, and
inside walls and ceilings (by inserting the generator's hose attachment
into two inch holes that you open up in each wall and ceiling section.
You will also be helped by reading the 10 steps for effective mold removal
www.moldinspector.com/mold_removal.htm. Please note that bleach is NOT
an effective way to kill mold---find out why bleach is ineffective at
www.bleach-mold-myth.com. Please email us your follow up q's at
firstname.lastname@example.org. Best wishes, Phillip and Divine Fry,
Certified Environmental Hygienists, Certified Mold Inspectors, and
Certified Mold Remediators
New Zealand Mould & Environmental Inspection, Testing,
Removal, Remediation, & Prevention Services
experts Phillip Fry and Divine Montero of
for the mold and environmental inspection, testing, and remediation of your
Christchurch, Wellington, Hamilton, Tauranga, Dunedin, Palmerston North,
Hastings, Nelson, Napier
other New Zealand flat, house, office, workplace, store, hospital, school,
public building or other
building. You can also do your own New Zealand
mould inspection and
mould testing by using
mould test kits that can be mailed to you anywhere in New Zealand.
Mr. Fry and Ms. Montero are both Certified Mold Inspectors, Certified Mold
Remediators, Certified Environmental Hygienists. Mr. Fry is the author of
five mold advice ebooks:
Mold Health Guide;
Mold Legal Guide;
Do It Best Yourself Mold Inspection, Testing, Remediation, and
Mold Home Remedy Recipes.
Mr. Fry has over 14 years experience in mold and environmental inspection
and remediation, and he has been the webmaster of the internetís most
prominent mold advice website
Mold Inspector since 1999. Phillip
and Divine are the co-managers of
EnviroFryô, a world leader in
environmental inspection and testing.
Mr. Fry is also the training instructor for
Ecology College Online, which trains and certifies Certified Mold
Inspectors, Certified Mold Remediators, and Certified Environmental
Hygienists worldwide. Phillip Fry can also teach in person mould and
environmental training and
certification classes in
residents and companies who wish to be trained and certified as Certified
Environmental Hygienists, Certified Mould Inspectors, and Certified Mould
Environmental experts Phillip Fry and Divine can provide New Zealand mould
and environmental mould inspection, testing, removal, remediation, and NZ
Contact them by
or phone 1-480-217-7173 (USA).
FREE Mold Advice Hotline
Mould or mould is a fungus that eats and grows on and in damp or high
moisture or decaying organic matter.
It comes from a microscopic fungi
microorganism in either air, water or insect-borne spore form.
reproductive cells that are resistant to unfavorable environmental
conditions such as no water, and is capable of mould reproduction fungal
growth when water and organic materials exist.
They are very small in size & can easily enter the human body by breathing
(nose & mouth), eating mould spores (often IN food and landing ON food),
drinking mould infested water, entry through one's eyes, and entry through
open skin cuts and sores.
are found in every environment and can be detected year round,
either indoor or outdoor. Mould growth outdoor is usually found in shady,
damp areas or places where leaves and other materials decompose. Indoor
mould growth, on the other hand, is common in elevated areas with high
indoor humidity levels such as basements, crawl spaces or showers.
Generally, moulds infest in dark areas with both moisture and nutrients.
They also like dusty or musty papers, cardboard, carpet, upholstered furniture
and bedding, damp wood, air-conditioner insulation, coils, and drain
pans, even in furnaces and automobiles, and drain pans under frost free
Moulds contribute in the breaking down of leaves, wood
and other plant debris. Somehow without moulds, we would be on edge with
dead plant matter. They digest plant debris as their food.
While growing, moulds
produce acids such as citric, gluconic, and oxalic which can damage
paper, leather, cloth and other household properties. They are also
capable of producing stain causing color which are difficult to remove.
Some people are sensitive to moulds. For these people,
living or working in mould infestation can become permanent health
afflictions, allergies, sinusitis, or in worse cases, cancer and death.
Individuals with serious allergies to moulds may have more severe
reactions such as fever and shortness of breath. People with chronic
illnesses, such as obstructive lung disease, may develop mould infections
in their lungs.
Exposure to moulds can
cause symptoms such as nasal stuffiness, eye irritation, wheezing, runny
noses, eye irritation, congestions, asthma aggravation, severe headaches,
dizziness and fatigue. More severe symptoms may involve profusely bloody
runny noses, the coughing up of blood, severe headaches, fibrous growth in
the lungs, cognitive dysfunction and loss of memory.
Based on these and more other dramatic cases, moulds
are potentially dangerous and cannot be ignored. They must be removed as
soon as they are discovered.
Safe and effective
Removal are thoroughly explained in our
Prevention, Inspection, Testing, & Remediation Mould Book.
There are several types of
moulds. Stachybotrys chartarum, the deadly mould species, was reported already
of its toxicity even in the early 1920s. In general,
Alternaria and Cladosporium (Hormodendrum) are the moulds
most commonly found both indoors and outdoors throughout the United
States, and worldwide including New Zealand.. Aspergillus, Penicillium, Helminthosporium, Epicoccum, Fusarium,
Mucor, Rhizopus, and Aureobasidium (Pullularia) are also
common in the US, New Zealand, and worldwide. Learn about the different
You can now become a Certified Mould Inspector or/or Remediator by studying
mould at home! Please visit:
Mould Training School.
NOW GLOBALLY AVAILABLE!
Study Mold at Home Course